On April 15, 1791 the first boundary stone of the District of Columbia was officially and Masonically placed at Jones Point in Alexandria, by Alexandria-Washington Lodge #22. A group of surveyors, led by Major Andrew Ellicott, marked the 100 square mile district, by proceeding, from Jones Point, 10 miles Northwest, 10 miles Northeast, 10 miles Southeast, and finally 10 miles Southwest, placing a boundary stone approximately every mile, for a total of 40 stones. All markers have an original or replica stone, and the Jones Point stone dates to 1794 (in the picture behind the glass). On March 7, 1991, a Grand Lodge bulletin was read at William R. Singleton-Hope-Lebanon Lodge #7 inviting Brethren to a bicentennial re-enactment of this august event. For more information about the stones, please see here:http://www.boundarystones.org/.