Lebanon Lodge No. 7
In 1870 Lebanon Lodge gave Naval Lodge a white marble altar, still in use today. The altar was crafted by WB Alexander Rutherford (PM1858,1859) and 10 other Brethren from scraps of high quality marble from the building of the House and Senate wings of the US Capitol. Lebanon Lodge was composed for many years almost entirely of operative masons, and WB Rutherford was a master stone cutter and inspector of marble for the Capitol project. The altar was used for years by all Lodges at the Masonic Temple at 9th and D Street. When Lebanon Lodge moved to a new building in 1870, it was given to Naval Lodge with the inscription: "NAVAL No. 4 from LEBANON No. 7 A.L. 5870". This altar is used for the raising of new Brethren and the installation of new officers in Naval Lodge, and is a reminder of the fraternal link between our Lodges.
Source: The White Marble Altar Description (with thanks to Peter Brusoe)